IN THE NOT SO SUNNY SOUTH

Groping their way back from the mud, sleet, and icy blasts of the stormy south, three athletic teams returned to Cambridge last week from their spring trips, wondering about the directions of the compass, and about the games they did not play below the Mason-Dixon line. Practically everybody on the baseball, tennis, and lacrosse teams enjoyed themselves hugely, but the fact remains that the party was on the Athletic Association, who have sacrificed a good deal of money before the god of rain, and therefore have been unable to take care of some of the teams that are crying for extra funds at home.

Certainly it is doubtful whether the tennis expedition to Washington and Annapolis was worth the expense. Out of the possible four days for tennis, it rained steadily during two of them, on another Harvard played a Washington team with the temperature hovering at thirty-nine, and against Navy on Saturday a downpour broke loose half way through the match. The team could have had more practice indoors at Cambridge. Even the lacrosse team, which played its games through mud and rain, spent money which could better be used for some under-coached or ill-equipped minor sport. Soccer, fencing and polo are obvious examples of financial mal-nutrition and fiscal deficiency.

Of the spring trips, the one most justified is that of the major sport baseball, regardless of the number of games washed out; and the lacrosse tour also is undoubtedly a help to the team. Whether or not the expense of this extra training is fair in view of the financial difficulties of he other minor sports is another question. No excuse can be found for the money spent on the tennis junket, however, for year in and year out a large percentage of the matches have to be cancelled. It would be best to drop this trip altogether and sink the funds elsewhere.