SIX-SEVENTHS

The old rumor about Harvard's lack of enthusiasm received a setback from the recent Crimson poll which showed six-sevenths of those undergraduates who answered the questions engaged in some form of college activity, with only four of them regretting their action. Moreover, such a vote is an extraordinary vindication of the House plan, which has interested almost seven hundred people to take part in the various House activities.

It is practically certain that if a similar poll had been taken back in 1930, the number engaged in extra-curricular work would have been much smaller. The House system is to a large measure responsible for such a difference for it provides opportunities for those who do not want to take much time from their work. Less than a third of the total number admitted that the extra effort was detrimental to their marks.

Although athletics, especially house sports, attracted the greatest numbers, when it came to determining the most worthwhile activity the various publications were very nearly as popular. In other words, extra-curricular interest is certainly not limited to the sports or to the Houses, but rather, activity in writing, music, and charities have an equally important place in the greatly broadened field of extra-curricular work.