Track Season Previews Will Be Made in Relays at Stadium

Mikkola's Men to Encounter Stern Competition Saturday in Many Events

The New England Relay Carnival comes up for its second performance Saturday when the Stadium is host to track and field athletes from New England colleges. As a unit and as individuals Crimson trackmen will present a preview of Harvard track this spring.

Jaako Mikkola's men will have some strong competition to face Saturday afternoon. Boston College is sending a strong mile relay team anchored by Dick Gill. Torbert MacDonald and Sparks Sorlein of the Crimson will be strong put in the 100 yard dash to beat Larry Scanlon of Holy Cross and Ken Clapp of Brown. Zeimetz of Boston College will be a threat in the 100 and also the broad jump.

There are half-mile, mile, two-mile and shuttle relays. Sprinters Torbert MacDonald, Pete Thompson, Fred Ulen and Sparks Sorlein will compose the spring relay, each man running a 220. Tudor Richards, Frannie King, Joe Donnelly, and Jim Lightbody will probably make up the mile relay. Captain Alex Northrop, Al Hanlon, Joe Bradley, and Jack McClure will run the two-mile relay.

The alternating high and low hurdle shuttle relay will as last year be the principal feature of the afternoon. Imported from Pennsylvania last year the race is run on the grass in the middle of the stadium. The Harvard quartet will be chosen from Mason Fernald, Sherman Hoar, John Johanson, John Sparrow, and Bill Lavorack.

An interesting event from the Harvard standpoint will be the shot put. George Downing, Sophomore, has thrown 46 ft. 9 in. already this spring. His teammate Howard Mendel, also a Sophomore should follow him in the scoring.