Young Communists May Be Fined $300 For Every Folder

Post Office Regulations Outlaw Bursar's Bills in Mailboxes

Almost $1,000,000 is the possible fine to which the Young Communist League is liable, according to U. S. Postal Regulations, for their illegal week-end distribution of folders supporting today's peace strike.

Every postbox in the House and the Yard dormitories is the property of the Federal Government and comes under its protection. By the Postal Laws and Regulations, "anyone who wilfully places anything other than mail matter therein for the purpose of avoiding mail charges is liable to a fine of $300 for each such offense."

Boston Postal Inspector Breslein stated yesterday, "I have received no official notification" and could not say what steps would be taken in prosecution. At present the Postmaster merely contemplates the collection of postage due from the New York League for the fliers confiscated from the mailboxes Monday.

Only if the fliers "incite to murder, arson, or treason," can the Young Communists be prosecuted for distributing subversive literature through the mails.

Replying to the charge that the University distributed Bursar's bills and notes from the Dean's Office by messenger to mailboxes in the Houses, Aldrich Durant '02, Business Manager, insisted that the mail service from the Student Employment Office was instructed to deliver all official notices under the doors. Deliveries to the postboxes is therefore recognized as illegal.