Terriers Slug Four Varsity Moundsmen

LUPIEN LEADS LOSERS

It was a typical B. U.-Harvard game yesterday at Riverside. The Terriers pounded four Crimson pitchers for fifteen hits and 13 runs, while the losing Cantabs rocked Bob Leahy for sixteen knocks and six runs.

Seven blows in the second inning off the offerings of Don Prouty and John Mahoney sent six runs across the plate, after scoring once in the first frame. From there on the Terriers coasted and their lead was never seriously threatened.

Prouty's First Appearance In Year

It was Prouty's first appearance on the mound since the B. U. game a year ago at Nickerson Field. His rout from the mound was duplicated, as the enemy bunched four hits, one a home-run, in the last half of the fateful second.

Mahoney who mastered the Terriers in the first game this year succeeded Prouty on the mound with two out in the second. But the veteran Jayvee hurler was not in form, allowing a walk, three hits, and three runs before the side was retired.

Fourth Inning Retires Mahoney

Dame Fortune smiled favorably on the bespectacled slow-baller during the next canto, but smiles turned to frowns in the fourth as two B. U. hits, and a walk counted two more tallies for the opposition.

Slim Curtiss was called in to check the tide but one more Terrier run came in when Artie Johns was unable to handle a fast grounder. A pinch hitter relieved Curtiss in the eighth and Johns finished the game on the mound.

Captain Ulysses Lupien again led the Crimson batters with a triple, a double, and a single in five times at the plate. He scored the only first inning tally, when Dick Grondahl's single brought him in from third.

Crimson Rallies In Third and Seventh

In the third inning Lupe started a three run rally by singling, Grondahl and Dave Shean followed with clean hits and scored as Johnny Quinn, B.U. short-stop, bungled Joe Soltz's grounder. Doubles by Lupien and Shean coupled with a pass to Grondahl in the seventh brought in two more runs.

* * * *

Ellie Bacon played his first game this season yesterday behind the plate. His only other Varsity appearance was last year on the spring trip. . . . A thrown bat by Quinn after the B.U. short stop grounded out in the seventh struck Umpire Johnny Mullen in the knee, incapacitating the arbiter for several minutes.

* * * *

Freshmen Bow to Boston University

The Yardlings were unable to get more than two blows off the pitching of Ace Douglas of the Terrier Freshmen and bowed to the opposition 5-3 at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon.

Although Jack Schwede on the Crimson mound limited the B.U. hitters to four lone base-knocks, six errors by his teammates spelled defeat for the Yardlings.

The Varsity summary:   ab  r  h  po  a  e Gannett, ef  5  1  2  1  0  0 Johns, ss, p  5  0  2  3  8  1 Lupien, 1b  5  3  3  9  1  0 Grondahl 3b, ss  4  1  2  1  4  0 Shean, 2b  5  1  3  7  3  1 Soltz, lf  4  0  1  0  0  0 Hoye, rf  4  0  1  0  0  0 Bacon, c  4  0  1  3  0  1 Prouty, p  1  0  0  0  2  0 Mahoney, p  1  0  0  0  0  0 Curtiss, p  1  0  0  0  1  0 Fulton,*  1  0  1  0  0  0 Ulin, 3b  0  0  0  0  1  0   40  6  16  24  20  8

*batted for Curtiss in the eighth Score by Innings  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard  1  0  3  0  0  0  2  0  0--6 Boston University  1  0  6  0  3  1  0  0  2--13

Two base hit: Lupien, Shean, Soltz, Bacon, Chandler, Quinn, Hardiman Dattman. Three-base hit: Lupien. Home run: Wright, Double plays: Johns to Grondahl, Wright to Quinn to Wright. Struck out: by Mahoney 1, Curtiss 2, by Leahy 9.