CRIMSON TURF DIGGERS LEAD EASTERN LEAGUE

STRONG HODDER TEAM HEADED BY CAPTAIN MacGOWAN

After winning their first two league matches, the Crimson golfers are in a two-way tie for the Northern Division lead with the Elis. The Harvard team defeated Dartmouth Friday 6-3 and trounced a Prom-tired Brown aggregation 8-1 Saturday.

By their showing so far this season, the Clark Hodder coached Varsity gives indication of being a strong contender for the league crown. Behind Harvard and Yale are Williams and Dartmouth tied for third with one win and a single loss. Brown and Holy Cross are deadlocked in the cellar with no victories in two starts.

Captain MacGowan Top Man

Heading the Crimson team is Tony MacGowan, captain and number one player on the team. His 73 Saturday against Brown on the Belmont course was the outstanding score of the afternoon. Brilliant but erratic, Henry Thompson has been playing number two. He lost to his Dartmouth opponent, but won from Brown on the twentieth hole.

Little Jack Barr, who scored a hole-in-one a month ago, is the most consistent shooter on the squad. In his three position, Barr seldom varies from a 74 to a 76. At four is another slightly erratic player in Bob Sides. The latter lost his matches to Brown and Dartmouth.

The veteran Ed Peterson and Bob Graves who captained the Freshman team last year are both vieing for the number five post with Bill Cordingley also in the running for one of the last two positions. Against the Indians Peterson and Cordingley played five and six respectively, while Graves replaced Peterson on Saturday. Cordingley alternated with Graves as number one man for the Yardlings last season.