Crimson 150-Lb. Crew Smashes Record Over Henley Distance at Lake Carnegie

Eli Lightweights Take Title in Joe Wright Cup Regatta At Princeton.

Although a canny Eli crew captured the 150-lb. title in the Joe Wright Cup rogatta at Princeton last Saturday, it was Coach Bort Haines' polished Crimson eights which gained the greatest honors of the day by smashing course records on the Lake Carnegie. Honley distance.

Captain George Meyer's boat, boasting a strong Sophomore contingent, Yale with an equally powerful Junior outfit, Columbia, and Penn lined up at the start for the first qualifying heat.

Crimson qualities

Harvard swingers immediately made a bid for the lead and pushed ahead with the Elis closely astern. Well aware that a second place was sufficient to place in the final race in the afternoon, stroke Bill Kellogg of the Blue let the Crimson extend themselves to an exhaustive victory. The record fell by the winning 6:58 time, but Yale also bettered the course mark in 7:01.8.

Meanwhile in the second qualifying heat Princeton, Cornell, and M.I.T. were fighting it out for the first two positions. With a light following wind the Tigers smashed the mark just set by the Crimson in 6:54.9. Tech placed second with a creditable 6:56.5.

Yale Gains Title

But it was Yale's turn to apply the power in the championship bracket. Harvard, handicapped by a poor start when it momentarily touched oars with Princeton, allowed Yale to win a lead of slightly more than a length.

Less experienced than the cool Eli eight, the Hainesmen were unable to settle and forced to a lower beat. With a half-mile to go, rowing smoothly at a high beat combined with efficient inboard work, stroke Bailey's boat nipped the leads of Princeton and Tech and closed the gap on the Elis. Yale was already over by two-thirds of a length, however, clocking in 7:14.

Not a Varsity fifties eight but Jayvee sweepers set up a new course record on Lake Carnegie. Bob Homas' smooth stroking of the Crimson boat accounted for a 6:54.2 winning time over the Yale and Princeton seconds.