Varsity, '41 Oarsmen Triumph; Baseballers Retain League Lead

Ed Ingalls Credited With Both Weekend Victories; Curtiss Faces Tufts Today

With two wins out of three weekend encounters, the Varsity baseball team increased its lead in the Ivy League last weekend. On Friday Cornell bowed to the Crimson 8-4, and after losing the first Saturday tilt to Columbia 6-4, the Mitchell nine won the nightcap 12-7.

Following the setback Friday at Cambridge, the Cornell nine dropped to fourth place Saturday as the dark-horse Dartmouth nine took an 11-2 victory at Hanover from the Big Red. Yale with four wins and two losses was idle this week, but stayed in second position, while the Indians jumped into third with three triumphs and two defeats.

Ingalls Gets Both Victories

Eddie Ingalls was credited with two more wins, although the big left hander was greatly removed from the Ingalls who held Princeton to four hits a while back. the Crimson hurler gave way to a pinch hitter in the fifth inning Friday, after allowing Cornell four runs in the first half of that frame.

After Tom Healey lost the opener on Saturday Ingalls, came through with his second victory. seven Crimson runs in the first inning gave the Mitchell mound ace a wide margin. With the lead never in danger, Ingalls was generous with the Lions, allowing nine hits for seven runs.

Trailing 1-0 going into the fifth frame, the Cornell sluggers nicked Ingalls for four tallies and the lead. But the Mitchell men came back with four more runs in their half of the inning, tallied another in the sixth, and Dick Grondahl's homer in the seventh with Ulysses Lupien on board ended the scoring.

The Columbia defeat in the opener was a heartbreaker for the Crimson. Twice with the bases loaded Varsity hitters struck out, when a single would have meant possible victory. In the last inning Dick Ulin and Joe Soltz went out via the strike-out route with three men on.

* * *

Home-run were in order over the weekend. On Friday, Grondahl smacked a long one through right field with one on Saturday, Lupe clouted one into deep left. With the crack of the bat the Columbia left-fielder turned and ran back but the ball still sailed far over his outstretched hands.

Not to be outdone Bill Stickel cleared the loaded bases for Columbia in the fifth inning of the second game, and in the seventh Bob Stolz for the Lions got a four-baser with one on, after falling flat on the ground in an attempt to hit a previous Ingalls strike.

* * *

Slim Curtiss, who held the Lions hitless in the one inning he pitched in the first game Saturday before being replaced by a pinch hitter, is Coach Mitchell's choice to hurl today against Tufts. The game, with will be played at Soldiers Field, will begin at 4 o'clock. EASTERN INTERCOLLEGIATE BASEBALL LEAGUE STANDINGS   W.  L.  PCT. HARVARD  6  2  .750 Yale  4  2  .667 Dartmouth  3  2  .600 Cornell  4  3  .571 Columbia  4  5  .444 Princeton  2  4  .333 Pennsylvania  0  5  .000