FORBES BACKS FRANCO IN SPANISH STRUGGLE

Insists Conditions in Spain Are Not Accurately Reported; "People Are Contented"

"Personally I don't think there is any doubt Franco will win," W. Cameron Forbes '92, former Governor of the Philippines and former Ambassador to Japan declared in a talk in the Union last night sponsored by the Freshman Union Committee.

Forbes, who has just come back from a two weeks trip through White Spain, said that he believed that the majority of the Spanish people were behind Franco. He also believed that due to good leadership in the White army and help from the Fascist powers Franco will eventually win out.

He deplored the lack of accurate information about White Spain in the American press. He said that is trying to "neutralize" Red propaganda from the other side.

"The people are contented and peaceful. The seem to have plenty of money, food, and work. The lack of excitement amazed me. Franco has increased wages, and built slum clearance projects. I personally saw men being tried according to established judicial procedure," stated Forbes.

As for foreign intervention Forbes said, "it is primarily a Spanish War. The Italians and Germans have given a lot of aid to Franco and the Moors are an important port of the army, but wherever possible Spaniards have been enlisted and today I believe foreigners in the army are less than ten per cent."