Sullivan Is successor to Keppel As President of Student Council

Outgoing Officers Read Papers; Mercer Named Representative In Charge of Freshmen

At the first meeting of the new 1938-39 Student council last night Richard H. Sullivan '39, of Marietta, Ohio, was elected president, Robert M. Bunker '39, of West Roxbury, was chosen treasurer, and J. Spence Harvin '39, of Fort Worth, Texas, as picked for secretary.

Douglas Mercer '40, of Brookline, was appointed Council representative in charge of Freshman affairs for next year. Mercer finished first in the Sophomore election last week.

Retiring officers of the 1937-38 Council read their reports. That of President Francis Keppel '38 appears else-where on this page. Outgoing treasurer Caspar W. Weinberger '38 read his report in which he said that $6350 had been collected in pledges during 1937-38 as compared with $6406 in 1936-37. Also, stated Weinberger, $2170 had been given to 41 undergraduates in the form of scholarships as compared with $1575 awarded to 23 students in the preceding year.

Wiley E. Mayne '38, retiring secretary, announced in his report that he considered that the office of Council secretary should in the future become a coordinating agent for the various Council reports.

Complete Roster

Every member of the new Council was present, including, besides officers Sullivan, Bunker, and Harvin, Cleveland Amory '39, Charles L. Burwell '39, Oliver P. Bolton '39, Clarence E. Boston '39, Morton L. Freed '39, Robert L. Green '39, F. Austin Harding '39, Richard H. Sullivan '39, Mason Fernard '40, Theodore L. Hazlett Jr., '40, Frederick Holdsworth '40, James D. Lightbody '40, Douglas Mercer '40, and Phil C. Neal '40.