SEAPLANE PILOTED BY WASHBURN TRAPS WOMEN

Passing Craft Saves Explorer's Life as He Fights Free of Plane in Lake Union Crash

Turning turtle while alighting on Lake Union, Washington, a seaplane piloted by Bradford Washburn '33, geographer and explorer, trapped two women in its submerged cabin late Saturday. Washburn and James Borrows, the third passenger, were thrown clear and picked up by passing craft.

Coast guardsmen and Seattle harbor patrol beats attached lines to the plane and towed it ashore. The women could not be revived. The victims were Mrs. Ome Daiber and Miss Dorothy Matthews of Seattle. Mrs. Daiber's husband accompanied Washburn on previous Alaskan expeditions. Miss Matthews was engaged to Borrows.

After the accident, Washburn and Borrows dived repeatedly in unsuccessful attempts to release the drowning women from the cabin. Washburn said that he was not used to the new type of pontoons on the plane, and that he landed too flat.

Washburn had been curoute to Alaska where he planned to make extensive photographic surveys of unexplored mountainous territory.