COMBINATION CREW NEAR COMPLETION

WORKOUTS START SOON

With one position still undecided because of a competition for the number three position on the first Freshman crew, the annual combination eight which faces an Eli boat in the New London regatta will contain four Yardlings, two Sophomores, a Junior and a Senior, it was learned yesterday.

Barr Comstock '40, stroke of the Third Varsity and of last year's second Freshman crew, will be at number eight oar. He held down the timing position on the 1937 combination outfit, coached by Bert Haines.

At number seven is Dave Scull '39 who for the last two seasons has rowed the same position on the Third Varsity. In his Freshman year he rowed number three on the Firsts and was again at that oar in the '37 combination.

A Freshman, Quinby Taylor from Milton Academy will be number six, having occupied that position on this year's second Freshmen.

Radway Only Senior

Jack Radway '38, a veteran at the College oar, takes the number five berth. He rowed five on the Third Varsity and had experience on the 1935 Yardling outfit.

The four post is hotly contested between Alex Whitman '41 and Walt Reed '41. When Elbert Moffat broke his rib at number four on the Freshman Firsts, Reed moved in to take his place. After Moffat returned last week Reed was shifted to starboard where he became a throat to Whitman who has been rowing number three oar consistently all year. Because Moffat's position is practically assured, one of these other men will move down to the combination post.

Freshmen Fill 3, 2

"Bull" Reece '41 from Noble and Greenough School, has been awarded the three oar, while Jack Wilson '41, stroke of the Seconds and an Exeter man, will be in the number two berth.

Rowing bow is Phillips Hallowell '40, number three on the Third Varsity, who held down the five oar on last year's Freshman crew. Jim Snow '39 of the Thirds will cox. He was in the steering position in the 1936 Yardling boat.

Meanwhile Coach Bert Haines, who takes his Fifties oarsmen to Henley this year, announced that Bob Homans and Jack Ijams, both Sophomores, will cross the Atlantic as substitutes. Yale is taking four extra men and Harvard may follow the Eli example. The crew leaves on June 15, beginning practice yesterday for the first time after the three cornered regatta on the Charles.