COLWELL APPOINTED TO COACHING STAFF POST

ON DEFENSIVE TOOK POST BEHIND LINE TO BACK UP

David G. Colwell, stellar backfield coach in the Yale team last year, has been appointed as backfield coach for the Harvard Freshman team next fall, it was announced by the Athletic Association yesterday afternoon.

Dave Colwell, who was prominent in the Yale backfield as a kicker and blocker, will attend one of the graduate schools here next fall.

This finishes the second angle of a tri-cornered situation begun last year when Princeton hired two coaches away from Harvard after last fall's successful season, allegedly in preparation for the game with them in 1939.

Since Colwell is to be connected with the Freshman staff, the tieup between Harvard spying on Yale athletics is not so apparent as it might be otherwise, but it is expected that Colwell will be of material benefit in the campaign against Yale next fall. This is especially true because of the fact that the Freshman game against Yale finishes a week before the Varsity game and will leave Mr. Colwell with a week free before the decisive game.

Last year Colwell gained national recognition for his punting, frequently rolling off punts which travelled practically the length of the gridiron.

Last year Colwell was the fourth man in a backfield composed of Al Hessberg, Charley Ewart, and Clint Frank. Besides his duties as kicker and blocker, he played the fullback position on defense, backing up the blue line.

Colwell will begin his season with the Freshmen, who are unaffected by the abrogation of the President's agreement.