By Their Faces Ye Shall Know Them - 5 Men You'll See A Lot

Professor Coolidge is a 100 percent Bostonian and a bicycle enthusiast. He was born in 1873, graduated in the Class of 1895, and began teaching Mathematics two years later at Groton School. He moved to Harvard in 1900, became a professor in 1918 after winning the Cross of the Legion of Honor in France. Now head of the department of Mathematics and periodical (average every five years) author, he is one of the best known, mathematicians in the world. After writing on the Complex Domain (1924), he does not find it hard to count his eight children.

Professor Holcombe was born in Winchester in 1884, and graduated from Harvard in the Class of 1906, whence he studied in Europe. He joined the Harvard faculty almost immediately on his return, became a professor of Government in 1920. He has always had a close association with actual government, having served on numerous Federal and State commissions. A busy author, his favorite, flavor is Party and State Government. But in spite of all his activities and five children, he still manifests his great personal interest in his students.

Last of these five alphabetically, but in no other way, is "Frisky" Merriman, perhaps the most traditional man still teaching at Harvard. Born in 1876 of a thoroughly Boston family, he graduated from Harvard in 1896, studied in Europe, married President. Eliot's neice, and has four children, the youngest a debutante. He became an instructor in History here in 1902, and a professor in 1918. From nothing he made History 1 into a top rank course, though he devotes himself more particularly to the Spanish Empire and Tudor England. A devout Anglophile, he reigns over his classes and masters Eliot House with pomp rivalling Philip II or Henry VIII.

Dean Hanford has only one son at home, thus leaving time for his 3700 children at Harvard. He was born in 1891 in Makanda, Illinois, graduated in 1912 from the University of Illinois, where he taught Political Science for the following two years. He came to Harvard in 1915 as an instructor in Government, is now a professor. In 1927 he succeeded Chester Noyes Greenough as Dean of Harvard College, and continues to maintain a quiet and gracious dignity in University Hall 4.

A Chicagoan of the vintage of 1888 by birth, Professor Mather did not come to Harvard till 1924. After his graduation from Denison University (Granville, Ohio), he taught geology at Arkansas, Chicago, Queen's (Kingston, Ontario), and Denison, acquiring during this time a wife and three daughters. Since becoming professor of Geology here in 1927 he has made himself one of the most popular lecturers as well as partaken in Boston civic activities.