Upperclassmen Register Today; Two Thirds to Freshmen Here as Hurricane Aftermath, Floods Isolate New England

HURRICANE BRIEFS

Transportation to New England still at virtual standstill; Freshmen, Upperclassmen unable to get past Connecticut River.

Havoc in Yard is slowly repaired as trees are raised. Harvard forest reports extensive damage.

Gust of 186 miles per hour reported at Blue Hill; wind there officially recorded at 111 miles per hour for three five-minute periods.

Straining of tackle and the sound of a drill were the aftermaths of Wednesday's hurricane as the University began to pick up its debris yesterday.

In the Yard, workmen separted bricks from mortar as they saved every bit of the Harvard Hall chimney they could find, for it is irreplacable. The bricks, lumber, and even nails are all hand made and duplicate cannot be obtained in this day.

Tree surgeons raised many of the fallen elms, and expressed the belief that they might live, although some of the roots have been badly broken. They will be stayed up with wires for the next few years until they can reestablish themselves.

It was hoped that some of the trees in front of Eliot House and those in the Winthrop House quadrangle could be salvaged, but there the roots are very badly torn and broken.