Graduate Schools Expect Slight Increase in Enrollment Over Last Year's Figures; Law, Business, Medical Lead

More Students Than in 1937-38 Survey Reveals; Figures Not Final Yet

Registration officers in a dozen graduate schools estimate that there will be a slight increase in the total enrollment of graduate students this year, in spite of the temporary deterrents of flood and storm a CRIMSON survey revealed yesterday.

An increase of '65 students over the 1937-38 registration is expected, with 4,444 men enrolled for this term, as compared to last year's figure of 4,379. The figures are necessarily but rough approximations because of the early date and extraordinary weather conditions. They are computed for eleven major schools.

Law School Leads

The Law School, largest of the graduate units, expects 1,250 men this year, a decrease of 39 from last year's figure of 1,389. The first-year men registered Saturday and the upperclassmen begin today and tomorrow. Third in size of its student body is the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences with 800 men expected during the next few days. There were 755 during a similar period last year.

Next is the Graduate School of Business Administration, the students of which have been registering since Thursday and will continue through today, with 935 men expected--approximately the same figure as last year's.

Little Change in Medical School

The Medical School in Boston anticipates the arrival of 516 students this term, four more than last year. Because there are no set terms for graduate medical students, it is impossible to compute their number, although over the space of a year they number several hundreds.

Students in the School of Education number 285 this year, including those men and women seeking their Master's degree in this field. Last year's enrollment was about 305, 20 more than are expected this fall.

The School of Dentistry in Boston expects 160 men, showing no change from last year's registration, while the School of public Health, affiliated with the Medical and Dental schools shows an increase from 53 last year to 66 this year.

Divinity Students Multiply

The increase from 114 to 151 this year is anticipated by the Graduate School of Engineering, while the three units of the School of Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Regional Planning expect a decrease of two in their combined enrollment. It was 98 last year.

The Divinity School plans to enroll 70 students this term, an increase of 18 over last year, and finally, the Graduate School of Public Administration will take care of 15 Fellows, compared to seven last year. Also, an undetermined number of students from other graduate schools will study at the Littauer Center. The total enrollment figure is considerably boosted when the many special students, Fellows, travelling Fellows, unclassified students, and the University Extension students are taken into account.