Gridmen In High Gear Compared to '37

Green, Daughters, Healey, Booth, Mellen, Glueck, Russell Are Line Fixtures for Present

By Cleveland Amory

With just five days before Harlow's 1938 football machine endeavors to cage the Bruin bear, it is probably folly to take issue with the scribes who have been crying that the boys are not yet as advanced as they were at this stage last year. But that is just what we are going to do.

The other day Arthur Sampson of the "Herald" wrote that Harvard is not yet so "smooth and precise" as it was last year mainly because "Vernon Struck's clever faking ability is missed."

Well, Mr. Sampson may have something in this bucking back matter, but let us remember that at this time last year neither Mr. Sampson nor any one else were blowing the praises of Struck. As a matter of fact, Struck was not dubbed the "magnificent faker" and a few dozen "Alls" and a lot of other compliments until after he ran wild in the Princeton game.

Smith Second Fastest

True, Struck was a fixture at his position. But a good dog-fight like that which is raging between Mike Cohen, last year's J. V. bucking back, and Ben Smith, converted end, is good and healthy at this stage. Cohen is better defensively, but Smith rates the offensive edge due to his speed; he is reputed the second fastest on the squad. Both Cohen and Smith negotiating long, spinning runs for touchdowns in Saturday's romp over the scrubs.

But let's travel over the rest of the group. Every single line starting post is a mighty good bet at the moment. Nobody is going to displace Bob Green or Don Daughters at end, Tom Healey or Ken Booth at tackle, or Nick Mellen or Dave Glueck at guard, or Tim Russell at center between now and Saturday--that is, of course, barring injuries.

Looking further, Torby Macdonald and Cliff Wilson are a cinch at wingback and blocking back respectively. Chief Boston, out of spring, practice due to an appendectomy, cannot possibly push Wilson out yet, at any rate. At tailback Austie Harding holds a windward berth on Frank Foley, one of the heroes of last year's Yale clash, mainly due to the fact that a minor injury has kept Foley out of scrimmage for a week.

Polish Will Come

With every starting position settled, therefore, the only questions of advancement are whether or not the top men know their stuff and how far the reserves have come along. Without doubt the Varsity know their fundamentals and are far more versed in trickery than they were even after two or three games last year.

As for the polish of the reserves, the scribes have been very hard on them. Much too hard, we believe, on such men as center Jim Fearon, guard Bill Coleman, tackle Mose Hallett, end Win Jameson, and wingbacks Bob Burnett and Ray Jones. They need only the polish which will come from game experience.