Soccer and Cross Country Swing Into Action Soon; Expect Record Turnouts

Sophomores Named for Key Posts On Track Squad Under Captain Brayton

With the first practice scheduled for this afternoon, Coach Jaakko Mikkola is optimistic about the cross country outlook for the coming fall. Despite the loss of Alex Northrop, captain of the track team last year, by graduation, returning Sophomores and veterans are expected to bring new life to the harriers.

Top lettermen returning are Captain Roswell Brayton, Bill Tuttle, who placed eighth in the triangular meet with Yale and Princeton, and Peabody Gardner, a Senior who captained his Freshman cross country team.

Last Year's Yardlings Help

Two Sophomores are slated for the first team. Yardling Captain a year ago, Bob Nichols won the Harvard-Yale meet, while his classmate, Charlie Old father ran third.

Other runners who are expected to rank high on the squad are Rolla Campbell, Bob Russell, Joe McLaughlin, Lousdale Stowell, Ed Childs, Clifton Stevens, Hamilton Daughaday, and David Simboli.

Following the season opener October 7 in the University Handicap meet, the team will enter a meet with Boston University, a triangular affair with New Hampshire and Dartmouth, followed by the Holly Cross run, and the annual Big Three meet with the Elis and the Tigers. The season concludes with the 1C4A games at New York, November 14.

Tomorrow at 3:30 o'clock the Freshmen will report for the first time. They will play with the Yearling squads of the same colleges the Varsity encounters but will not enter the intercollegiate matches.

Thirty-three Varsity and 22 Freshmen turned out yesterday for the initial soccer practice of the season on the Business School Playing Fields, but a total enrollment of 130 is expected before the season gets well under way.

Both Coaches John Carr of the Varsity and James MacDonald of the Yardling squad were enthusiastic about the prospects for this year. Every year the turnout has increased and last year's mark of 127 set an all-time high.

Hard Schedule

The McDonald outfit will play a schedule of eight games, concluding with the Eli encounter at New Haven, while the Varsity faces one of the hardest seasons yet slated for the sport here.

The eight returning lettermen who started in last year's Yale match are: Harold P. Williams, Jr., '39 in goal, Joseph C. Bradley '39 at left fullback, Bernard J. Jacobson '39 at right halfback, George W. Phillips '39 at left halfback, Captain John MacL. Johansen '39 at right outside, Frank R. Harnden '39 at right inside, Arthur W. Page, Jr., '40 at center and Howard P. Mendel '40 at left outside.

The graduation of Bob Scott leaves the key position of center halfback vacant this year, but strong Sophomore and Junior material indicate that Carr will have little trouble in finding a man for the job.