Daily 'Dartmouth' in Fight to Avert Regulation by Authorities of College

Contest Proposed Appointment Of Trustee To Control Paper's Activities

Censorship of the press has become a live issue on the Dartmouth campus this year, as University authorities there are moving to gain control of the "Dartmouth", Hanover undergraduate daily.

A meeting of President Hopkins and the 12 college trustees early in October is expected to reach a decision on the fate of the 100 year-old paper, which has been fighting college interference since the censorship question first arose last May.

Seek to Appoint Trustee

College authorities, acting on an investigation of campus publications conducted during the spring term, seek to regulate the "Dartmouth" through the appointment of an Alumni Trustee who would supervise the work of the paper's editors and business managers. Under this plan the trustee appointed would hold a controlling share of the publication's corporate stock, which is at present held jointly by the editor-in-chief and the business manager and is handed down to their successors each June.

It was further revealed that if the investigating committee's suggestions are put into effect the Alumni Trustee will have the right to remove from office any member of the "Dartmouth's" staff at any time. This proposal, bringing up as it does a clear issue of University censorship, has aroused bitter opposition from undergraduate sources.

Paper Presents Petition

In reply to the moves of the President and trustees the "Dartmouth" has presented a petition to Hopkins containing a counterproposal to the Committee's suggestions.

With campus opinion divided and with feeling strong on both sides, the future of the undergraduate daily hangs upon the October decision of President Hopkins and the 12 College Trustees.