Samborski Reports New High In 1937-38 House Athletics

Intramural Director Releases Annual Report; Lists New House Secretaries

More Bunnies and Elephants and their brethren engaged in House sports last year than ever before according to the annual report released yesterday by Adolf W. Samborski '26, Director of Intramural Athletics; 1170 men, 57% of those eligible, played on 151 teams in 22 sports for an all-time high.

Although Lowell won the Straus Trophy by a slim margin, the Rabbits led in participation with 66%. Kirkland, Lowell, Winthrop, Dunster, Adams, Eliot, and Dudley trailed in that order.

Main factor in the 6% participation increase and the 62% drop in defaults registered last year was the inauguration of a central administration of House sports and paid managers in each House, Samborski finds.

Council Changes Rules

Among the accomplishments of the inter-House Athletic Council, composed of the eight athletic secretaries, Clarence H. Haring '07, Robert Woods Bliss Professor of Latin-American History and Economics and Master of Dunster House, William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, and Samborski himself, the mentor of House athletics lists revision of eligibility rules, new methods of selecting assistant House secretaries, and the election of three representatives to the Undergraduate Athletic Council.

The one dark note in an otherwise successful year was the loss of six out of nine championship contests to Yale colleges, leaving the Edward S. Harkness Trophy in the possession of the Elis. Only in Crew, Squash, and Touch Football did the Crimson triumph.

Participation Increasing

A table accompanying the report reveals that in seven years, participation in House athletics has climbed steadily from 835 to 1170 contestants. Most popular sport last year was Squash, with 416 players: fall tennis trailed with 243, closely followed by football with 226 and crew with 203. Fencing drew only 18 contestants.

Except, for professional officials at football games, graduate students and students officiated in most contests last year.

Samborski yesterday also announced the House secretaries and assistants for 1938-39.

The athletic secretaries are appointed by the masters of the respective Houses. Kirkland this year has appointed no assistants, but will experiment with separate managers for each sport, he explained.

The complete list of secretaries and assistants follows:

Adams: Thomas P. Watkins '39; Phillip doN. Ruprecht '40 and Charles M. Clark, Jr., '40.

Dudley: Julius L. Shack '39; Lawrence Alexander '40 and Harold Glickman '40.

Dunster: Donald McDonald '39: Dean R. Noyes '40 and Philip L. Strong '40.

Eliot: Peter Waring '39: George W. Dana '40 and Philip L. Strong '40.

Kirkland: Paul R. Wentworth '39.

Leverett: John A. Rumsoy '39; William F. Pennebaker '40 and Holland L. Willard '40.

Lowell: Huges Call '39; Edmund J. Doering, 2nd, '40 and Samuel W. White, Jr., '40.

Winthrop: William C. Flinn '39; William M. Fetcher '40 and Joseph A. Wyant '40.