Dr. Bock Will Have New Offices and Eight Assistants in Original Enterprise

Old Big Tree Swimming Pool Is Redecorated to House Medical Staff

At 13 Holyoke St., next door to the Hygiene Building, the wary observer will notice that something new has been built out of something old. Where was the Big Tree swimming pool, which used to house the Harvard Dramatic Club, is now a modern medical building, with neat, well-furnished offices on both of its two floors.

The truth is that the Hygiene Department under the direction of Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, has expanded. Through the endowment provided by the Grant Foundation 13 Holyoke was remodeled during the summer to suit the requirements of Dr. Bock in connection with his intended study of the healthy Harvard man.

Eight Help

The personnel of the new addition to the over-crowded Hygiene Building has been drawn from both Harvard and outside sources and a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, physiologist, anthropologist, social worker, and two secretaries.

Clark Wright Heath '22, who will be the physician graduated from the Harvard Medical School in 1926. He has been associated with the Mass. General Hospital and the Thorndike Laboratory of the Boston City Hospital and has been both an assistant and instructor at the Medical School.

The Psychologist, Lyman Wells, obtained his Ph.D. at Columbia in 1906. In 1921 he became an instructor in the Medical School and instructor in the Medical School and in recent years has been an assistant professor of psychology there. From 1925 to 1928 he was a member of the National Research Council in the division of anthropology and psychology. As a member of the National Committee of Mental Hygiene he has been chiefly interested in clinical psychometrics and mental hygiene.

The psychiatrist, Donald Wilson Hastings, secured his M.D. at Wisconsin University in 1934 While his specialized training came from the Penn. Hospital for mental and Nervous Diseases and the Institute of the Penn, Hospital. In addition he was an instructor in psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania.

Physiologist

John West Thompson, the physiologist, graduated from Stanford a M.B.Ch.B. at the University of Edinburgh in 1935. At the same place he was a demonstrator in physiology for several years, and from 1929 to 1932 a lecturer in physiology at Swarthmore College. During 1935 he was assistant physician to the Royal Hospital and to the Jordanburn Nerve Hospital and Psychology Institute in Edinburgh. From 1936 on he worked as an assistant in the Fatigue Laboratory here.

The anthropologist, Carl Coleman Seltzer '29, was a research anthropometrist at the Columbia Medical Center in 1930. Three years later he got a Ph.D. in Anthropology from the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. From 1933 to 1935 he was a National Research Council fellow in Anthropology. The next year he was statistical and anthropometric research assistant to Earnest A. Hooton, Professor of Anthropology. For the past year he was research assistant in the Fatigue Laboratory.

The social worker is Lewise Winston Gregory, a personable young lady