CHASE MADE NEW UNIVRSITY DEAN

Dean Chase Has Taught Here Since 1901, Was Dean of Graduate School

George H. Chase, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Hudson Professor of Archaeology, has been appointed to the newly created post of Dean of Harvard University, effective February 1, it was announced today.

The University Corporation voted that he is "to assist the President in exercising a general superintendence over all the concerns of the University and to act for the President in such matters as from time to time the President may entrust to his care."

The Dean will act as a sort of deputy president. His duties will be confined, for the most part, to matters of the internal administration of the University.

May Represent President

He may take the President's place from time to time as chairman of various committees which meet throughout the academic year, and he may represent the President at conferences within the University and assist generally in dealing with problems which arise in the departments and graduate schools of the University.

When Dean Chase takes office as Dean of the University, Lawrence S. Mayo, assistant dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, will succeed him as Acting Dean.

Dean Chase will continue his teaching even after he assumes his new duties. He has been on the University teaching staff since 1901, in the department of Classics and Classical Archaeology. He has been curator of Classical Antiquities since 1905, Hudson Professor of Archaeology since 1916, and Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences since 1925.