METCALFE REPORTS 80,000 NEW BOOKS WENT TO LEBRARY

Bishop Gawrychowski Establishes a Fund for the Advancement of Polish Culture

Gifts of over 57,000 books and a total of over $24,000 for book purposes and administration were received last year by the Harvard University Library it was announced Saturday in the annual report of Keyes D. Metcalfe, Director.

Dr. Metcalfe reported that the entire library, including the main Harvard College collection, and the 80 affiliated departmental and graduate school libraries now numbers 3,041,359 volumes and pamphlets. Accessions by gift, purchase and exchange during the year totaled about 80,000 books.

Three Annual Grants

A $10,000 grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York was the largest donation of the year; first in three annual grants of this amount for the coordination of the libraries of the University.

Prominent among the money donations received from alumni of the College, was a sum for the completion of the Hebrew Collection, by Lucius Littauer '78 of New York City. J. Pierpont Morgan '89 contributed to the general needs of the library. For book purchases, largely toward the William Dean Howells Collection of Letters, 47 "Friends of the Library" contributed a sum of $2,450.

Polish Fund

A new book fund "for the advancement of Polish Culture" was established by a bequest of Valentine P. Gawrychowski, of Chicopee, Massachusetts, Bishop of the Eastern Diocese of the Polish National Catholic Church.

Among the book gifts 500 volumes Herbert Weir Smith, former professor at were given from the library of the late Harvard, by his wife in his memory. A box of Daniel Webster's letters and a library of 1,800 volumes was received from the estate of Mrs. Ella Haven Ross, of Boston.

An extensive collection of French newspapers, relating to the Dreyfus Case was presented by Lee M. Friedman, of Boston, and has been photographed on micro-film to insure its preservation. Another gift was an army commission, dated 1862, signed by Abraham Lincoln.