Sophmore Runs for Brookline School Committee; Calls Members 'Stooges'

Paul Kerins Grows Moustache as He Plans Campaign "With Gloves Off"

Hurling blistering charges into the Brookline political arena, Paul Kerins '41, who turned 21 three days ago and is growing a moustache to prove it, has launched what he calls a "bitter campaign with the gloves off" for a seat on the Brookline School Committee.

A Government concentrator, Kerins tossed his first bombshell last week when he publicly charged that the "Brookline Stooge Committee" was "a little group of obliging Charley McCarthys toddled on the knee of Mr. Caverly." Ernest R. Caverly is Superintendent of Schools.

Kerins first became interested in Brookline education when he took five years to complete a four-year high school course there. "This is the case with 45 per cent of Brookline's high school students." he stated last night. "This situation is due to inefficiency and incompetence on the part of our school committee. Besides, the annual per capita is $150, the highest in the Commonwealth."

But the youthful crusader hasn't really begun to fight yet, and won't until after midyears. Then he plans to "put pressure on from every angle." On Monday, January 30, at a meeting in Whitney Hall, he will make five "sensational" charges against the school committee.

"They must justify their stand, or confess ignorance of what's been going on," he said last night. "If they do the latter, I'll ask them to withdraw gracefully from the contest. As a matter of fact, I expect either to be completely ignored or subjected to a bitter personal attack."

The source of Broo line's troubles, according to Kerins, has been the surrender of all authority by the school committee to Caverly and Wilfred H. Ringer, principal of Brookline High.

The election will take place in the second week of March, Kerins last night hinted at "some support"; he is rumored to be backed by a Government Department campaign fund.