University Clamps Down Upon Law School Tutoring Bureau

Book Store Offering Review in Criminal Law Desists Upon Being "Asked"

One of the first cases on record of University action against tutoring schools came to light yesterday, as a notice appeared on the Law School bulletin board announcing that a school's tutoring review had been cancelled at the request of Law School officials.

The review was to have been held in criminal law, in which first year, law men take an examination Saturday, Jan, 28. Offering the review was the University Law Book Exchange, a book store near the University Theatre. Asked why they had given up their review, a spokesman for the book store said simply that they were "asked to give it up" by Professor Livingston Hall, who, with Professor Sheldon Glueck, is a criminal law instructor.

The Book Exchange refused to reveal what sort of pressure had been exerted upon them, but students who turned up for their originally scheduled review were sent to Hall. The Exchange was believed to have desisted in their attempt in order to keep on good terms with the Law School.

Authorities at the Law School told the CRIMSON that they did not approve of students going to tutoring schools and corroborated the story of the Book Exchange being "asked" to call off the review. Hall said that he had been giving review sessions in the course regularly each week.