TOWN POLICE SEEK "GOODS SALESMAN"

Suspicious Student Used His Candid Camera on the Con-Man When He Came to Sell His Wares

Cambridge police today were tracking down a "salesman" who has been muleting money from students for suiting material falsely represented as "imported from London."

The activities of the confidence man first came to light when banks on Harvard Square complained when payment was stopped on a number of checks drawn to the order of a "Peter Geer." Presumably the drafts were stopped after students were told by their tailers that the "imported goods" were fraudulent and many times over-priced.

Colwell Charles R. Apted, Superintendent of Caretakers, said that all cases of the fraud were reported by students, for the most part in the Law School, who were living not in the Yard or in Houses but in boarding houses or apartments. Until "Geer" is known to be operating within University precincts, trespassing, the racket is exclusively a Cambridge police problem. Colonel Apted provided the town inspectors with a photograph of the swindler to help them in tracing him.

The photograph was secured when a suspicious student secretly snapped "Geer"? with a miniature camera on one of the con-man's visits to his room. Colonel Apted declared that Peter Geer was an alias, and that he recognized the man from the picture as the notorious brother of another "salesman" who was jailed several years ago.

"Geer" was decribed as "well dressed and respectable looking." He solicits on recommendation from "satisfied friends."