Strong Freshman Eleven Hands Andover Decisive 20-6 Defeat

Team's Defense and Pass Attack Impress in Sensational Win Saturday

Andover's highly touted and previously undefeated football team got a thorough 20-6 lacing on its own field Saturday at the hands of Skip Stabley's Freshmen. On October 2 the schoolboy had over Yale's 1943 team by almost the same acute.

Hay Shepard, the Andover coach, is noted for the teamwork he develops among his players, but the Yardlings showed just as much coordination and a lot more speed, passing ability, and cording drive in their sensational victory. The only score for the Blue and White came in the first minute of play, when Caleb Loring dropped a punt and Hoopes fell on it as it rolled over the goal line.

Crimson Tie it Up

About three minutes later the Crimson had tied the score with a march down the field climaxed by a Don McNicol to Loring pass and then a McNicol to Bill Barnes serial for the tally. This was the beginning of a series of serials thrown with deadly him by McNicol, making a farce of the Andover defense. Barnes was on the receiving end of most of them.

Andover never seriously threatened after the initial touchdown, chiefly because of a charging Crimson line led by Russell Stannard, who was especially effective in smearing the schoolboy passers before they could get act.

A 19-yard end run by McNicol put the Freshmen ahead in the second period, and then Fisher added the extra point to make the score 13-6 for Harvard.

John Shattuck, a substitute for the Crimson, did a fine bit of punting under pressure in the second period when the Yardlings were on their own 5-yard line. Morton Waldstein, the regular booster, was playing with an injured leg, so Shattuck came in to relieve him for one play and sent the ball apiraling down the field for over 60 yards. There the Freshman ends dropped the receiver in his tracks.

Guild Cuts Loose

Another substitute, Ray Guild, paved the way for the last period tally by three successive runs which totalled 45 yards. Waldstein scored on a one-yard plunge, and Fisher again converted. Guild, a state record-holder in the 100-yard dash, who had made very little impression heretofore outside of the scrimmages, displayed a promising mixture of speed and deception in Saturday's game.

With an effective system of defensive plays, a dangerous passing attack, and the development of offensive players such as Loring, Waldstein, and Guild to support their ace back, McNicol, the Freshmen proved to be a scoring machine which couldn't be stopped. This Saturday they will face Dartmouth at Hanover.

The summary: HARVARD 1943  ANDOVER Barnes, l.e.  r.e., Hoopes Fisher, l.t.  r.t., Constantin Sosman, l.g.  r.g., Coty Page, c.  c., Fisher Stannard, r.g.  l.g., Hart Rogstad, r.t.  l.t., Rollo Forte, r.e.  l.e., Beardsley Goldthwaite, q.b.  q.b., Arnold McNicol, l.h.b.,  r.h.b., Anderson Loring, r.h.b.  l.h.b., McLaughry Waldstein, f.b.  f.b., Smith

Periods  1  2  3  4 Harvard  6  7  0  7--20 Andover  6  0  0  0--6