REVIVING THE GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT

It was as though Harvard had struck a man who was already down, when its axe fell upon the Government Department's assistant professors. For even before the latest blow, that Department was much undermanned.

Twenty years ago there were six full professors in the Department. Today, with enrollment expanded three times, there are still but six. Much of the increased tutoring and teaching has been performed by assistant professors, but out of six of these, only two will be at hand for undergraduates when September rolls around.

President Conant wants to appoint faculty instructors to replace the assistant professors. But Professor Holcombe holds, and rightly, that these instructors will be neither old enough nor sufficiently experienced to fill the vacated boots. Instead he seeks to have two more permanent appointments apportioned to his Department.

Mr. Holcombe's scheme helps Government while hurting other departments, by diverting funds from them. Moreover, if given the two posts he would probably select men of his own age group, "stars" who have already earned academic fame. These he could lure from other universities by the offer of a Harvard professorship.

Appointments of this sort would do little to solve the real problem. What is needed are men of the middle age-group, like the departing assistant professors, men who are prepared to teach and tutor. It is these who are called for, not "Name Professors" interested in graduate work to the virtual exclusion of all else.

Behind the confusion the issues are clear. More full professorships are financially impossible under the present budget, and creating them would not solve the teach-tutor problem. More associate professorships can be paid for out of current income, and they will answer undergraduate needs. The Government Department can be revived if the right smelling-salts are chosen.