THE PLAYGOER

At the Copley

By W. E. H.

Rodgers and Hart have come to town, and their current musical, "I Married an Angel" eclipses many if not all of their previous successes. No part of it has to be carried along by the rest, and lyrics, music, plot, dialogue, dancing, sets, and costumes all contribute their equal shares to a most enjoyable whole. The execution of the job, entrusted to a group of experts and some good support, is fully up to the material.

The angel referred to in the title is the genuine article, descending by real wings from a real heaven, in answer to the hero's assertion that he won't marry until just such a celestial being appears. The situation is not prepossessing, but the elaboration of the angel's initiation into the vanities and the compromises of the world, proves quite amusing. The angel has taken it from Mr. Keats that beauty is truth and vice-yersa, and so she has to be cured of the habit of absolute honesty, at least so far as social amenities are concerned.

Vera Zorina is pleasingly ingenuous as the angel, and her slender athletic beauty appears to good effect in the ballet designed for her and other by George Balanchine. Dennis King is a good restrained hero; Vivienne Segal a bright contriver; Walter Slezak an amusing fat foil for the hero; and Audrey Christie a vociferous clown.