SIXTY GRADUATES WILL "SUPERVISE" STUDENT TUTEES

Chairman Merk Promises Rates Lower Than Those Charged by Cram Parlors For Tutoring

Sixty specially qualified graduate students will staff the new Bureau of Supervision designed to provide academic aid to undergraduates, Frederick Merk, professor of History, Chairman of the Committee on the Supervision of Students, announced yesterday.

He also clarified the University's attitude toward those who were in trouble with their work and formerly resorted to illegitimate tutoring schools. "The Bureau," Merk said, "is ready to help all students who are having difficulty with their courses."

The rates for the Bureau's work of supervision and tutoring have already been announced, with a top of $2.50 an hour for the latter and no charge for generally over-seeing a student's work in a course. Charges will be put on the term-bill unless the student specifies otherwise.

The maximum rate of $2.50 an hour is below the $3.00 and $4.00 rate generally prevailing at the commercial tutors' in the Square.

Principles Announced

"In view of the approaching Hour Examination period," Merk's statement said. "It seems appropriate to remind all students that it is not necessary for them to seek assistance outside the University.

"The Faculty Committee on the Supervision of Students has established a Bureau of Supervisors which is ready to help all students who are having difficulty with the work in their courses.

"The staff of the Bureau is composed of sixty persons most of whom have both graduate study and teaching experience at Harvard. All are well acquainted with the work in the undergraduate courses and have been selected by the department as the most competent persons available to assist students in Harvard College."