CAA Course Men Ask Larger Quota For Flight Group

139 Seek Places in Restricted Class As Graduate Students Top Rank List

With the CAA's newly installed Flight course heavily over-applied, Associate Professor J. D. Den Hartog of the Committee on Flight Instruction said yesterday that attempts were being made to get permission from Washington for an increase in enrollment from 50 to 100.

About 100 who signed for the course failed to survive the rigid physical exam. The remaining candidates were rated on a point credit basis for acceptance into the restricted Flight course.

Ninety per cent of the applicants were undergraduates. D. F. Hornig '40, a gliding enthusiast who constructed and flies his own ship and a National Scholar, ranked in the highest ten applicants. Rodman Gilder, Jr. '40, a member of the Glider Club who was entered in the National Soaring Contest last year, also ranked near the head of the list. The only other undergraduate in the first ten was L. G. Shepard '42, an M.I.T. transfer student.

A. E. Puckett '39, 1G ranked first. Puckett is an instructor in the course. Two law students, H. C. Johnson 3L and A. W. Bedell 2L, both of whom had some previous experience, ranked among the leading candidates.