Exeter Downs Yardlings, 20-14

McNICOL SPARKS '43

Skip Stahley's Yardlings were vanquished 20 to 14, in a hard fought encounter Saturday when Heyes, a substitute Exeter halfback 50 yards for a touchdown in the final period. This was the initial game for the Freshmen.

The losers showed drive and spectacular offense unusual for a Yardling team at the start of the season. They started the scoring when Don McNicol, a sterling halfback, found Bill Lyle with a pass in the first quarter.

Harvard led at the half, 7 to 0. The offense weakened then, however, mainly because of poor blocking and pass receiving.

In the third quarter Cowen, fullback for Exeter, scored on a two-yard back. Another determined Exeter drive was climaxed by Haslan's line plunge over the touchdown stripe, while the Stahleymen got another tally when McNicol again completed an serial, this time to Calch Loring. Hayes' spectacular dash in the final frame eliminated Crimson hopes for victory.

The head coach classed Joe Gardella and Ernie Sargeant as outstanding, while Big Tom Healey was commenced for dependable play at tackle. Barring injuries or the unexpected, they'll stick in the Crimson first lineup.

Both coaches, Harlow and Mannie Mansfield, praised the play of Charlie Crooker's and Art Belliveau for Bates. The captain and center, Crooker was in every play, throwing back Harvard thrusts like a man with twice his 165 pounds.

Even lighter, Belliveau, who weighs `152, was the outstanding runner on the field. Disregarding his interference and his coach's advice, Belliveau ripped off long and frequent dashes, but no scores.