Twenty-Two Students Volunteer for Experiment to Test Effects of Gelatin

Training Under Track Coach, Bill Neufeld, Has Already Commenced

Twenty-two students, mostly Freshmen, have volunteered to act as guinea pigs in a novel experiment which the University is sponsoring, David B. Dill, professor of Industrial Physiology, announced yesterday. The object of the experiment is to determine whether gelatin is the miracle food it is claimed to be.

Since October 1 these 22 guinea pigs have lived under a rigid training regimen. Assistant Track Coach Bill Neufeld has had them entirely under his control, and has given them about the same sort of training that middle distance runners undergo. However, there have been no restrictions on their diet.

Feeding Starts Next Month

Early next month Dill, who has been with the Fatigue Laboratory ever since its organization in 1927, will start feeding his guinea pigs an ounce of gelatin a day. Not in dessert form, this gelatin is dry and must be washed down with cold water.

The amount of gelatin in the ordinary dessert, he pointed out, is probably less than one tenth of an ounce. No one knows the exact chemical formula of gelatin; it is a complex protein containing carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen.