Harlow Adds Final Touches; Yesterday's Practice in Cage

Mentor Picks Line to Start For Crimson; Squad in Top Shape To Meet Elis

By Donald Peddle

There is very little left for any football coach to do in the last few hours of practice of the gridiron year, and Dick Harlow's task is no exception. A bit of offensive polish here and there and a few more sessions of dissecting Yale offensive and defensive tactics for the benefit of his men have been the big jobs for the Crimson mentor this week.

Yesterday the team went over the final hump as far as hard practices are concerned. From now on there will be a gradual tapering off process as the Crimson gridmen put on the finishing preparation touches for their objective game of the year.

Save for a short punting drill outside on the slushy practice field, most of the afternoon's workout was confined to Briggs Cage. There the red-shirted A and B teams topped off their routine chores with a spirited 40 minute farewell offensive on the dummy bags.

Dick Harlow announced his starting line for Saturday but indicated that the opening backfield would not be nominated until shortly before game time. Loren MacKinney, Vern Miller, Chub Peabody, Burgy Ayres, Dick Pflster, Tom Healey, and Gene Lovett are the seven men who have won the Harlow stamp of approval to halt the Blues.

Bill Coleman will undoubtedly get the call at quarterback, but the other three positions are wide open. Captain Torbie Macdonald, Frannie Loe, Joe Gardella, George Heiden, and Charley Spreyer are all equally well at home in more than one backfield assignment. Weather conditions at 1:45 o'clock Saturday may play a big part in determining the starting Crimson ball-carrying quartet.

The squad should be in top physical shape for the Elis. Don Lowry, Joe Gardella, and Greeley Summers were all able to take part in most of the heavy work yesterday.