JUSTICE ROBERTS TO DECIDE FINALS OF AMES TOURNEY

Philadelphian First Supreme Court Judge to Officiate at Law School Competition

For the first time in the history of the Ames Competition at the Law School, a Justice of the United States Supreme Court will be one of the judges when the Honorable Owen J. Roberts presides at be finals on January 18, John O. Rhome, faculty assistant in charge of the competition, revealed yesterday.

The two other judges who have accepted invitations to preside at the finals are Charles E. Clark, United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and Henschell W. Arant of the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.

Judges Clark and Arant both were formerly deans of large law schools at other universities. Clark was formerly Dean of the Yale University Law School, and Arant was formerly Dean of the Ohio State University Law School.

Roberts Sets Precedent

Justice Roberts will set a precedent for the Supreme Court, despite the fact that in 1938 Stanley Reed was a judge in the Ames Competition when he was still Solicitor General of the United States and his nomination to the Supreme Court had not yet been confirmed by the Senate.

Roberts was professor of law at the University of Pennsylvania from 1898 to 1918. After leaving Pennsylvania he did special work for the government as a special district attorney. Roberts was appointed to the Supreme Court in 1930 by President Hoover, and has pursued a middle of the road policy.

The Edward Warren Club and the Williston Club will argue in the finals.