TORBIE MACDONALD OUT FOR ARMY GAME

Gene Lovett Pressing Hard to Capture Jim Devine's Berth at Right End Before Saturday

Captain Torbie Macdonald continued to show gradual improvement in his battle with an ailing leg as the Harlowmen ran through an uneventful practice session yesterday. However, the possibility that he will play against Army remained small, for the Crimson leader still favors the injured limb.

For the second straight day, Jim Devine held down the A team right end position, while Bart Kelly filled in at the other end in the excused absence of Loren MacKinney, who studied today. Gene Lovett is making Devine work hard to keep his place, and the two wingmen are providing one of the hottest battles for a starting berth that Harlow has seen this season.

Gardella Still Lame

Frannie Lee displaced Joe Gardella at wingback in signal drill. Joe has been bothered by a number of bruises sustained in the Princeton game which have slowed him up considerably. Since Harlow wants to have his plays run at top speed during signals, he is giving Lee the call for the sessions. This does not mean, however, that Lee will rate the whistle over Joe on Saturday.

The guard situation has not improved appreciably since the announcement Monday that Ernie Sargeant had given up football. Dick pfister has looked better, and Tom Lacey has been doing yeoman work as his sub. Pfister's weak spot at present is his blocking on pullout plays when he is slated to clean out defensive backs. This phase of his blocking could be improved.

Don Lowry and Chub Peabody are scrapping it out at the other guard slot, with Lowry doing most of the A team work. But it is a toss-up as to whether Lowry or Peabody will start against the Cadets. Peabody seems to have the edge in aggressiveness, while Lowry's experience helps to weight down the green line.