SOROKIN SCORNS WAR TO END DICTATORSHIP

"Totalitarianism Will Be Stimulated As Result of European Conflict," He Predicts

"After this war dictatorships will not disappear, but totalitarianism will be greatly increased," said Pitirim A. Sorokin, professor of Sociology, in a discussion at Dunster House last night.

Professor Sorokin, who terms himself "the most radical professor at Harvard," described the "decline of civilization" to an audience of over 100. "No matter what the outcome of this war in Europe is," he continued, "even if all the Hitlers, Mussolinis, and Stalins are killed off, democracy will still be replaced by this powerful new force of totalitarianism."

Democracy is Dying

"Our whole system is decomposing," the "former secretary of the Russian Empire" told the forum, "not only intellectually but also organically. This century is the bloodies in history, and we have lived only 40 years of it.

"In the United States, even, there has been a decided increase in regimentation since 1929. Every indication points towards a weakening of democracy in our country, much as I am sorry to say so."

He showed that even art and culture are degenerating. Originally they appealed to the head, but now their call is to the senses. "Contemporary art is pathological," he said.