Speedy Courtment, Unbalanced Swim Squad Seen for Lions

Columbia's basketball Team Is Expected to Be Handicapped by Lack of Height, Early Games Away; Kennedy's Tank Team Has Strong Individual Performers

(This is the first of a series of seven articles on winter sports prospects of members of the Eastern Intercollegiate League.)

Columbia University's 1940 basketball team will have speed but not much height. Columbia's swimming team will have strong individual performers in some events, but the squad as a whole lacks the balance necessary to place it among the League leaders. These are the opinions of Lion coaches as they look forward to their respective athletic campaigns beginning next month.

The Lion hoopmen got off to a late practice start and probably will not hit their stride until well after the Christmas holidays. As holdovers from the 1939 five which finished second only to Dartmouth in the final standings, Coach Paul Mooney has little Albie Myers and Jack Naylor, regulars, and John Gilligan, a reserve who saw plenty of action.

Other Returning Veterans

There are other members of that fine squad available, notably Carlo Adams, Henry Brown, and Bob Richmond, but none of these men has had much experience. Two Sophomores from the strong Freshman team of a year ago are expected to break into the starting lineup. They are tall Will Hasslinger and Frank Primich. Other possibilities are Stew McIlvennen. Jim Richards, Ken Sager, Len Will, and Herb Mack.

In Albie Myers, a small forward, Coach Mooney believes he has one of the outstanding shots and competitors in the circuit. "If Albie were three or four inches taller, he'd be the best player in the League," says Mooney, "but even at his height (five feet eight inches) he's a great ball player."

Myers was kept out of Varsity basketball until last year with a leg injury, but then as a Junior he set the League on fire. he played 416 out of a possible 480 minutes and rang up 119 points to rank fourth in this department behind Dartmouth's Broberg, Penn's Mischo, and Cornell's Foertsch. He was voted a position on the coaches' All-League quintet.

Naylor, Myers's probably running mate at forward, is a defensive standout. Gilligan and Hasslinger are battling for the first-string center post, while Primich and Will have the inside track for the guard jobs. In addition to the Sophomores and holdovers there are Vince Gutendorf, a Senior who did not play last year, and John Cerrone, a Junior in his first season of play. Unfortunately for the Lions, they will have to play six of their first eight games on the road, and their lack of height will be a big disadvantage.

Swimming Stars

Tank mentor Ed Kennedy believes that he has two standout performers in diver John Keating and sprinter John Vergeichik. Keating was the League's third best diver last season, and Vergeichik was the team's high point man.

Other lettermen returning from the squad which finished fourth in the Eastern Intercollegiate League standings include Maurice Poitras, Kent and Steve Stavers, all distance men, and Berndt Lindgren, a sprinter. Outstanding Sophomore is Jack Brown, equally well at home in any free-style event, at the back, and the breast stroke. Other promising second-year men are Gunner Ohberg and Aiden Wood, sprinters, and Joe McKinley, a diver.

Kennedy will be assisted this year by Jack Medica, the former Olympic and national champion, who has been added to the Lion coaching roster.