Divinity Students Receiving More 'Clinical' Training, Dean Sperry Says

Announces Increase In Study Of Social Sciences in Annual Report

Divinity School students are receiving increasing instruction in the social sciences and "clinical" training in institutions, Dean Sperry stated in his annual report, issued today.

Commenting on the added clinical work, he said, "There will doubtless be in the Protestant ministry of the future, a group of men who specialize in this field of the more grave personal disorders of mind and emotions, with the consequent disintegration of character.

"It is doubtful whether the average parish minister can attempt to be psychiatrist, interne, orderly, and warder as well as preacher and pastor. But some experience of human life in extreme distress is valuable during years of preparation, and we are glad to have our men get glimpses into these worlds which they will constantly met, even though they must admit that at the best they can give only a laymen's help.

Committee in Boston

There is a theological schools' committee in the Boston area for the clinical training of theological students and junior pastors, it was pointed out.

The added work in the social sciences, in sociology, economics, and political theory. took the form of informal colloquies addressed by preachers known to have had first-hand experience in these fields in their parish work.

"Personal testimony and advice from men of recognized standing, who have been long concerned with these problems, is worth more to our ministers-to-be than formal academic courses, since a purely secular account of the facts does not satisfy the requirements of an ethical religion, even though it provides the subject matter for ethical interpretation." Dean Sperry said.

Discuss Nonsectarianism

Dean Sperry discussed the nonsectarian character of the Divinity School, raising the question whether an independent school of this sort "can effectively serve the formally organized denominations into which American Protestantism is divided.

"Opinion is, and probably will be for some time to come, divided on the matter," he commented. "Zealous denominationalists suspect an institution like ours of being deficient at most of the crucial points. But persons who are more interested in religions as a whole than in denominations, think that we have a distinctive mission . . . . The drift of the times is away from further sectarianism and towards interdenominationalism and even formal Church unions. Our nonsectarian character, therefore, would not seem to unfit us for the future."

He reported that out of 80 students registered at the Divinity School last year, more than 80 per cent were pledged to enter the ministry, and the remaining 20 per cent are preparing for work on Divinity School faculties.

The Harvard Divinity School, he said, does not accept for registration any applicant planning to enter college teaching, even in the field of religion. The eighty students last year represented thirteen different church denominations, he said.