THIRD CONFERENCE ENDS AFTER PROBE INTO PROPAGANDA

Word propaganda Interpreted in Many Different Ways; Main Influence Is in Education

Summarizing the work of the third annual Guardian Conference, which took place Friday and Saturday, Enno R. Hobbing '40, president of the Guardian, declared, "We think that the problems of propaganda and the horizons of the experts and students attending have been broadened."

After two plenary sessions in the Winthrop Senior Common Room Friday morning and afternoon, three study groups, conducted by Edward Bernays. I. L. Child, and Rupert Emerson, associate professor of Government; discussed propaganda and education, propaganda and the individual, and propaganda and the war.

High Point on Saturday

Saturday afternoon the high point of the whole conference was reached as a general outlook on the whole subject of propaganda in the modern world was taken. I. A. Richards, University lecturer, and Gordon W. Allport '19, associate professor of psychology, gave what they considered a proper definition of propaganda and its place in education.

John M. London '41 undergraduate chairman, summed up the objective of the conference as being "to give every man who wants to have an integrated, well-rounded concept of the world an opportunity to discuss the very vital subject of propaganda from as many viewpoints as possible."

As a whole, the Conference speakers seemed eager to play down the role of propaganda in affecting the courses of history. The main influence of propaganda, it was generally felt, was in the realm, of education.

Definitions of the word 'propaganda" varied on specific points considerably. Some stated that it was anything written or spoken. Others declared propaganda was anything intended to get people to do or to refrain from doing something.