Varsity Wrestlers Overcome Jumbos 24-8; Daughaday and Thomas Star

Don Lowry, Pete Illman Engage In Two Toughest Battles; Freshmen Tie

By William W. Tyng

With a spectacular exhibition of power among its relatively inexperienced wrestlers, the Crimson wrestling team walloped the Tufts grapplers, 24 to 8, Saturday afternoon in the Indoor Athletic Building. At the same time the Freshmen tied a strong Tufts 1943 team, 20-20, with the advantage of two defaults to start with.

The two toughest fights of the afternoon were staged between Pete Illman and his Tufts opponent, Lewis Loring, in the 155 pound class, and between Don Lowry and Ralph Sherry of Tufts in the 175 pound class.

Illman prevailed in his match by dint of his superior knowledge and opportunist tactics, and just edged the more muscular Loring after coming from behind, with all odds again him, at the end of four minutes of wrestling.

Lowry Shows Possibilities

Lowry showed tremendous possibilities for a man who has wrestled for as short a time as he has. With just the slightest bit more knowledge about the game he might have nipped Sherry, who found it hard to compete with the scrappy Crimson football guard, but finally beat him by a decision. The most pleasant outcomes of the afternoon were the two speedy falls won by Sophomores Jim Redmon and Dick Thomas at 121 and 145.

Captain Bill Daughaday in the 165 pound class lived up to his reputation for a fast attacking and hard pressing type of wrestling. His display of ability immediately drove his opponent into a dead defense which saved him from being pinned. Ted Schoenberg characteristically tied up his opponent in four minutes, at 128, while Sophomore Ray Stone showed a steady, smooth variety of wrestling at 135, winning by a decision.

In the unlimited class, Tudor Gardiner failed to show his best wrestling form and was pinned by Mathew Cummings of Tufts. Cummings' consistently good form allowed him to take advantage of Gardnier's slip ups.