Dramatic Club Will Produce Latest Play December 14 to 16

"Too Late to Laugh" Presents Survey of All Types of N. Y. Life During Typical Day

In presenting its fifty-ninth production, "Too Late to Laugh," a play with music and ballet by Vinton Freedley, Jr. '40, the Dramatic Club returns to its policy of productions which are wholly the work of Harvard students.

Freedley's play, his first, deals with New York life; and in order to portray the diversities of the great metropolis, the young playwright has adopted some 30 scenes, occurring in different parts of New York during the course of a crowded day.

Play Has Big Cast

There is a cast of 175, including 50 dancers, which is made up of "cafe society," laborers, shop girls, chorines, office workers, and others. Dominated by an overhanging replica of an El, the scenes shift from drawing-rooms to manholes, street corners, Central Park, bars, offices, and stores. Music and dancing fill some of these scenes in addition to those which are purely dramatic.

Hunt Hamill '40, undertakes the leading male role, of Ronnie, a happy-go-lucky member of cafe society. Playing opposite him is Miss Reta Hurley, a graduate of the Bishop Lee School, who will portray a New York glamor girl. Leonard Kent '43, as the stolid and dependable Henry, Guy Clements '40, and Miss Agnes Love, Radcliffe '34, fill the remaining important parts. Henry Urrows '38 directs the Dramatic Club's latest production.

No Drops to Be Used

Because of the fire hazard no drops may be used in Sanders Theatre, where the play will be produced December 14, 15, and 16, and this has placed a heavy burden on the back of John A. Holabird, Jr. '42, who is in charge of the scenery back stage. All the props have had to be made not only realistic, but also mobile, and the efficient shifting of so many scenes has been accomplished only after considerable effort.