NO FIREWATER

"We find that one of our greatest problems is located in the vicinity of Hanover, New Hampshire," reads a semi-official statement of the W.C.T.U. The Harvard Stadium clean-up squad, entrusted with the task of clearing away empty bottles from beneath the stands, has often sympathized with that organization after visits of the Indian team to Cambridge. It is only too clear that serious temptation lies in the way of any clean American youth at Dartmouth College.

It was well known to the Indian scouts of the days of '49 that nothing is worse than a drunken Indian. In the unpublished correspondence of old Jim Bridger there is, in fact, a statement to the effect that "there's nuthin' wuss'n a drunk Injun." This fact is still incontestable today. More generally, it has been scientifically proved that hard spirits stunt growth; that continual imbibing results in deterioration of character; and that back of every criminal there lies an empty bottle. Furthermore, it is an obvious fact that inebriation releases inhibitions and arouses passions, thus frequently leading to unfortunate situations.

Particularly at a winter sports carnival, ostensibly to glorify the Healthy Body and Soul, is the bottle an unwanted visitor. As Professor Hisaw maintains, "In any display of athletic prowess, the neural pathways must be kept clear from the effects of alcohol." An examination of complete skiing records shows that no skiing championship has ever been won by an intoxicated man.

Truly the Dartmouth Outing has only gained by the spiriting away of its spirit license. It is unfortunate that this will not prevent all inebriation; man's baser instincts invariably find expression in some subversive manner. Nevertheless, a body blow has been struck for right and temperance. All clean livers should rejoice.