Arab's Surprise Speech Breaks Up Independents' Jewish Rally

Michael Grace, Chairman, Flays HSU but Praises Jewish Move For Repatriation

An unscheduled Arab speaker threw into turmoil a meeting called by the Independents to arouse interest in the sending of German Jews to Palestine in Emerson Hall last night.

The Arab Victor E. Sawabini, spoke in an embarrassing lull at the meeting at which Michael P. Grace '40, who presided, was filling in with humorous stories while waiting for Dorothy Stone, a scheduled speaker, to arrive. Miss Stone never arrived.

"Jews Their Own Enemies"

"They're ruining my country," Sawabini exclaimed in a fiery speech before the audience, enthusiasts of the Affiliated Jewish Youth Organization's campaign for Jewish repatriation. He suggested that the Jews stop blaming others and examine themselves, claiming that their unpopularity was their own fault and not the countries' who want to get rid of them.

The unexpected nature of the interruption was emphasized by earlier speeches in favor of the Palestine immigration by David Lasker, Chairman of The Boston Finance Commission, Edwin Kaufman, chairman of the Jewish Youth Organization, Gus Sonnenberg, heavyweight wrestler, and Miss Madeline Swedersky, of the Jewish Allia movement.

Sends Note to Rostrum

Sawabini, an insurance salesman living in Brookline, gained the floor by sending a note to Grace which said, "My name is Victor E. Sawabini, I come from Palestine. Please let me speak." Grace said afterwards he did not know that Sawabini was an Arab when he invited him to speak. He admitted being abashed by the Arab's remark "We don't want any more Jews. Why not send them to Texas?"

Grace attacked the Student Union for its actions in the Roxbury High School case and quoted a letter from Frederick Ernst, head of the Principals' Association of New York City, describing the Union as a "bootleg organization." He also urged "cooperation" as the solution of the Town-Gown problem in Cambridge