Mermen Down Providence 59-16 As Bengals Top Hoopsters 38-27

Lutz Rings Up 14 Points While Meyerholtz Stars for Princeton

Harvard's Varsity hoopmen put up a fighting game last night featured by a stiff defense and Charley Lutz's sparkling play, but the Tigers were just too good-just about as good as the 38 to 27 score in their favor indicates.

The Crimson starters were Lutz, Heckel, Peabody, James, and Lupien, and this five soon found that Tiger meat would be hard to get. The Feslermen left the floor at the end of the first half on the short end of a 21 to 14 count. The second half was closer, with the Crimson being kept in the running by Charley Lutz and his 14 points until he was ejected from the contest on four personal fouls with still ten minutes remaining to play.

With Lutz it was anybody's ball game, but without him it was a different matter because his running mate Fred Heckel had a tough night and just could not get going. Aside from Lutz, the game was featured by Harvard's strong defensive play. Lupien played his usual top-notch game against the Tiger star, Johnny Meyerholtz, while Homer Peabody and Tread Ruml managed to hold lanky Captain Scof Scofield of the Orange and Black in check.

'42 Hoopsters Win

Skip Stahley's Yardling basketball quintet defeated a scrappy Andover team 39 to 33 yesterday afternoon. The Yardlings were paced by Moke Rice and Ed Buckley.

Summary: HARVARD  FG  FT  TP Lutz, r.f.  7  0  14 Sullivan r.f.  0  0  0 Simpson r.f.  0  0  0 Heckel l.f.  1  1  3 Legg l.f.  0  0  0 Peabody c.  2  1  5 Ruml c.  0  0  0 Lupien r.g.  0  1  1 James l.g.  0  1  1 White l.g.  1  1  3 Totals  11  5  27

Referee-Pat Kennedy, E.I.A. umpire-Dave Walsh, E. I. A. Time of periods-20 minutes.