Crimson Pucksters Battle 2-2 Overtime Deadlock at Arena

Harding, Winslow Pepper Eli's Defense in Attempt to Defeat Fast Attack

By Hockey Editor, Yale News, and Harry Robinson, (Special Dispatch to the CRIMSON)s

NEW HAVEN, Conn., February 17--An impressive Crimson hockey team fought Yale to a 2 to 2 overtime deadlock at the Arena here tonight, as Harvard's hard-shooting left-winger Joe Patrick, with the aid of Captain Austie Harding, hammered down an early Eli two-goal lead with a pair of sensational scores.

Both teams seemed about evenly matched in this first clash of the annual three-game series, and both teams fought hard every minute of the game. The play was fast and open right up to the final whistle, with eleven penalties handed out during the evening.

Yale Strong

Yale scored twice in the first period while the Crimson sextet scored once in the first and once in the third. The Blue forces, who entered the game as favorites to win were clicking smoothly throughout the entire 60 minutes of play, and turned in a far superior type of hockey than they have exhibited in recent weeks. Harvard was equally up recent weeks. Harvard was equally up to form, and scarcely seemed to show the effects of Tuesday's herd game against Dartmouth.

Before the first ten minutes of the first period had slipped by Yale was boasting a two goal lead. Although the Crimson six started out fast, with Harding and Winslow keeping Eli goalie Holt very busy in the nets, the Yale offensive started clicking early in the period as Dave Rodd of the Elic broke away down the left alley and scored on a fast back-hand shot that eluded Vint Freedley completely at 6:35.

Patrick Scores

Then three minutes later the Elis rang the bell again, as George Curtis set up a beautiful pass in front of the Crimson goal and winger Roy Hazen slapped it home at 9:89.

Less than three minutes of the period were remaining when the Heddermen turned in their first tally. On a jump into Blue territory Joe Patrick took a pass from center Austie Harding, drew goalie Harry Holt out on his knees, and slipped the rubber in between his legs at 17:43.

Harvard pressed hard in the final minutes of the first canto but the only result was a stiff workout for Holt. The second period opened with Yale fighting hard in Crimson territory and goalie Vint Freedley holding them off in brilliant style. Then as the Hoddermen's offensive started to get underway Harry Holt saved things for the Blue with two beautiful stops, one when Freddle DeRham and Dave Eaton set up a perfect play in front of his net and again when Win Jameson had a clear shot.

Crimson Tics Up Score

At the end of the period on a mixup in back of the Crimson net, Vint Freedley froze the puck against the beards and Yale was awarded a penalty shot. Hofenseman kite of the Elis put the shot past Freedley, but he went over the line and the score was ruled out.

The Crimson's second goal came in 8:34 minutes of the third canto and was another pob by Harding and Patrick. Harding shot a long pass to Patrick from the left boards, and Patrick stated in on Holt, drew him out of the net, and slipped it into the goal to the up the score at two all.

Harvard held the edge for the rest of the third period with most of the play in Blue territory. In spite of the brilliant play of Austie Harding, who dominated the period with his flashy performance, the Hoddermen were unable to clinch the game.

Freedley Impressive

The Blue forces held a slight edge in the ten-minute overtime, although both sides had lots of opportunities to score. Freedley turned in a magnificent display in the Crimson nets, while Harry Holt stopped at least two Harvard set-ups.

The line-up:

Yale spares--Toland, Rodd, Darnor, Gillespie, Hazon, Curtis, McLonnan, Kite Plerson.

Harvard spares--Hulse, Ervin, Eaton, Willetts, Hunnewell, Deltham, Cutler, Mittell, Carstein, Coleman, Gray.

Scoring first period, Yale: Rodd (unassisted) 6:34. Yale--Hazen (Curtis) 9:39. Harvard--Patrick (Harding) 17:43. Second period No score. Third period Harvard--Patrick (Harding) 8:34. Overtime no score.

YALE  HARVARDHolt, g.  g., FreedleyHowe, l.d.  l.d., HoughtonBurr, r.d.  r.d. JamesonG. Humphrey, c.  c. HardingBoies, l.w.  l.w., PatrickD. Humphrey, r.w.  r.w., Winslo