CLIMBERS FIND HILLS BETTER IN CAMBRIDGE

MOUNTAINEERING CLUB PLANS TO ISSUE JOURNAL

Four members of the Mountaineering Club speeded up to New Hampshire Sunday to scramble around in Huntington's Ravine and returned later only to find conditions much more favorable in Harvard Square. "The ice wasn't hard enough up there," they sulked; "but it's the nuts on the snow banks in the Square."

Winter mountain climbing is a new idea for the club, but for 15 years they have been organizing weekly climbs during the spring and fall. When the four members started out on Huntington's Ravine, which is located on Mount Washington, they were turned back by danger of avalanches caused by the loose ice and snow.

On returning to Cambridge, they saw Harvard Square piled high with hard-packed ice and immediately took to their picks and tongs. One mountaineer was heard to say, "It's even more fun to scale the mighty snow drifts than build smooth babes out of snow."

Besides organizing future climbs in New Hampshire and vicinity, the club is planning a super-issue of the annual journal which will contain stories on all the recent climbs made by members of the club within the past three years as well as more than ten illustrations of difficult summits.

The new journal will be given out to the 110 members at the Annual Dinner in the spring.

President Conant, the first university president to attend a meeting of the Mountaineering Club, spoke at the annual winter dinner. He gave a brief address praising the activities of the club.