Prager, Exile of Germany, Arrives For Star Studies

Astronomer Will Assist Shapley In Observatory Work on Variables

Dr. Richard Prager, world famous German cataloguer of variable stars, arrived here yesterday morning aboard the S. S. Samaria to take his position in the research department of the Observatory, where he will work with Dr. Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy and Director of the Observatory.

He was carefully protected from reporters who sought his opinion on the Bridgman Manifesto. Percy W. Bridgman '04, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy said yesterday afternoon, however, that his ban on representatives from totalitarian states from his laboratories, in no way affected the German refugee since he would be connected with a completely different department.

Although he has just left his homeland under the quota, Prager did not wish to make any statement concerning conditions there since his family remains behind. Met at the dock by Dr. Cecilia Gaposchkin and her husband of the Astronomy Department, he was taken to their home for the day pending the making of definite plans.

Born in Hanover of German Jewish parentage the greater part of his life has been spend between the universities of Vienna and Berlin as an instructor and a research student in astronomy. In January he finally left Potsdam, his last official residence in Germany, and after six weeks in England, sailed for the United States where he intends to take up permanent residence.