Varsity Swimmers Submerge Colgate Maroons 64 to 11

COLGATE WINS A FIRST

Diving back into competition after the mid-year layoff with untried Colgate splashing behind them, Coach Hal Ulen's Varsity mermen limited the Maroons to but one first place and no seconds as they chalked up a 64 to 11 victory Saturday night in the Indoor Athletic Building.

The hapless Colgaters would have been ignominiously shut out 68 to 7 but for the early lead which Senior breaststroker Frank Ferguson piled up and was able to maintain despite the last-lap challenge of Jack Waldron of the Crimson. This gave them five points in that event instead of their customary one point and boosted their total four above the minimum of seven. The winning time was 2:38, Waldron being nosed out by only a touch.

Sharing the spotlight in the Harvard runaway were Captain Rusty Greenhood in the dive and Eric Cutler who copped first in the 220 and the 440. The Crimson leader turned in his best low-board performance of the year in rolling up 117.62 points.

Cutler apparently saved himself somewhat in the 220 because from the outset in the 440 it was obvious that he was not going to let the lack of competition stop him from cracking five minutes. He maintained a blistering pace and almost lapped the field in the quarter-mile grind. His winning time was 4:59.5, a mark which has not yet been beaten by any of the country's other top collegiate 440 men this year.

Craig Moore's 1:47.9 victory in the 150 yard backstroke indicates that dorsal ace Art Bosworth has a good partner to work with. Bosworth's contribution to the Crimson score Saturday was limited to a second in the century, won by Frannie Powers in 55.7. Bosworth did not swim in the medley either, but Moore, Kraus, and Griffin won the event in 3:11.6.

Jack Waldron's close second in the 2:38 breaststroke would have been just the thing needed to keep the victory streak of the Ulen men unbroken against the Brown Bruins. And Phil Walker in third place was also under the 2:42 time which won the event for the Bruins.