DENTAL DILEMMA

For a number of years a storm has been raging over Stillman Infirmary, during which much justifiable criticism has been levelled at the inadequacy of its facilities, Sheltered from the blast because of the greater importance of its medical elder brother, the Harvard Dental Clinic has escaped much of the criticism; but actually the need for better dental facilities--while on a smaller scale--is even more urgent.

Housed in four tiny rooms high in the Hygiene Building, the Clinic annually ministers to more than a thousand students. Not only because of the skill of the Dental School men who compose the staff, but also because of the reasonable prices, the Clinic has become popular. But the unfortunate fact is that since it is forced to operate with a skeleton staff and equipment, only about one-half of the students who apply for appointments can be treated. Last year more than a thousand men were turned away,--referred to dentists practicing in the Square, where rates are considerably higher. And this condition was by no means out of the ordinary; today no more appointments for fillings are available until June. Members of the staff estimate that several more dentists and doubled floor space could be put to full use if provided.

The question is obviously one of finances. Since it is not operated for a profit, the Clinic has no funds for expansion; because the University budget has been reduced in all departments, no aid can be expected from that source; and the dream of an all-wise, beneficent alumnus has not yet materialized. Unpopular as it would doubtless be, a general tax on the student body appears to be the only practical solution; it would amount to only two dollars per student if levied on graduate men as well as the undergraduate body. No less pressing than the most urgent cavity, the problem cries for solution. A toothache to students, it is a headache to the administration, and a tax seems to be the only powder likely to relieve the pain.